Hartley, Maxwell, & Castellano Attorneys at Law
Let Us Help You. Call Today. 805-919-8346
Let Us Help You. Call Today. 805-919-8346

Can grandparents file for visitation rights in California?

It can be difficult for grandparents to accept that they may not be able to visit their grandchildren. After all, most grandparents absolutely adore their grandchildren and would heartbroken if separated from them for too long. For many grandparents, though, being unable to visit their grandchildren is an all-too-painful reality.

In these situations, grandparents often wonder whether they have a right to remain a part of their grandchildren’s lives. The laws regarding grandparents’ rights vary widely by state. While some states tend to be restrictive about grandparents’ rights, California is more permissive. That means that grandparents may still be able to exercise their rights to visit their grandchildren.

Grandparents’ rights in California

California, though comparatively permissive, still has strict standards for grandparental rights. Typically, a grandparent can file for rights in only a few scenarios. These include:

  • The grandparent is joined in the suit by one of the parents
  • One of the child’s parents is deceased
  • The parents are not married

It is very difficult for grandparents to successfully file for rights when a child’s parents are still married. There are very strict conditions that must be met.

  • The child’s parents must be living separately
  • One of the parent’s whereabouts have been unknown for over at least a month
  • A stepparent has adopted the child
  • Neither parent lives with the child

So, how does a court determine whether to grant rights to the grandparents? The litigants must convince the court that they have a pre-existing relationship with their grandchild that has engendered a close bond. The grandparents must successfully argue that the termination of this relationship would cause demonstrable suffering to the child. This standard is very difficult to prove, and grandparents who are petitioning for rights may need the help of a lawyer. The court’s decision will also rest on whether a relationship with the grandparents would be in the best interests of the child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
We Are Here To Help. Contact Us With Your Concerns
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Tell us how we are doing and Review Us

Office Location

Hartley, Maxwell & Castellano - Attorneys at Law
5700 Ralston Street, Suite 210
Ventura, CA 93003

Phone: 805-919-8346
Fax: 805-639-0500
Map & Directions

Hartley, Maxwell, & Castellano Attorneys at Law