Hartley, Maxwell, & Castellano Attorneys at Law
Let Us Help You. Call Today. 805-919-8346
Let Us Help You. Call Today. 805-919-8346

What will happen if I don't pay child support?

As a parent, you have a number of obligations to your children. And these obligations do not end just because you get divorced from the other parent or if you do not have custody of your kids. You can still be required to pay child support.

Even if you disagree with the court's order, paying child support in full and on time is crucial for at least a couple reasons. First, it shows that you are contributing to your child's well-being, if only financially. Secondly, you can face serious penalties if you fail to comply with child support order in California. We examine these penalties below.

Financial penalties

  • Damage to your credit rating
  • Liens against your house or other property
  • Interception of income tax refunds and/or lottery winnings
  • Penalties on unpaid support amounts

Legal penalty

The main legal penalty that you could face is being found in contempt of court, which can come with a jail sentence.

Other penalties

  • Denial of passport
  • Driver's license suspension
  • Suspension of other state-issued licenses, including recreational and professional licenses

Another consequence to consider if you do not pay child support is the damage it can do to your relationship with your child. If you are able but unwilling to pay child support, you may be permanently hurting your chances for a meaningful relationship your child now or in the future.

To avoid these penalties, talk to an attorney

In some cases, it may be all but impossible for a parent to pay child support. Perhaps he or she lost a job or suffered a serious injury leading to massive medical bills; maybe there is hesitancy because a man doubts his biological relationship to the child or wishes to relinquish his or her parental rights.

Under these and similar circumstances, it would be wise to consult an attorney as soon as possible to examine the possibility of a modification or termination of support, rather than simply stopping payments. With legal guidance, you can address any concerns you may about child support and avoid or minimize the penalties of nonpayment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
We Are Here To Help. Contact Us With Your Concerns
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Issue

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Tell us how we are doing and Review Us

Office Location

Hartley, Maxwell & Castellano - Attorneys at Law
5700 Ralston Street, Suite 210
Ventura, CA 93003

Phone: 805-919-8346
Fax: 805-639-0500
Map & Directions

Hartley, Maxwell, & Castellano Attorneys at Law