Guardianship And Conservatorship

Has a beloved relative become increasing disoriented and confused? Do you have reason to believe an elderly friend is being taken advantage of, either personally or financially? Or perhaps a young niece or nephew has been left without support after her sole remaining parent was incarcerated?

If any of these situations sound familiar, you may wish to set up a legal guardianship or conservatorship to protect a loved one's personal or financial well being when they are unable to do so themselves.

What Is The Difference Between A Guardianship And A Conservatorship?

Guardianships and conservatorships shift the responsibility for making personal and financial decisions from the person in need (the conservatee or minor) to the person assuming responsibility for that need (the conservator or guardian). While guardianships are created to manage the affairs of minors/children, conservatorships are created to protect incapacitated adults.

Guardianships and conservatorships impose significant limitations on what financial or personal care decisions the person in need can make for themselves. Neither of these arrangements should be entered into lightly or without the advice of experienced legal counsel.

Do Not Leave A Vulnerable Friend Or Family Member's Fate To Chance

At Hartley, Maxwell & Castellano, our attorneys understand how important it is to take care of family and friends. We also understand how to navigate the legal system and can help you protect your loved one's personal and financial well-being.

Our lawyers understand the legal requirements for determining who may have a guardian or conservator appointed to manage their financial or personal affairs, who is eligible to be a guardian or conservator, and how courts determine whether a person is in need of a guardian or conservator. Use our knowledge to your advantage.

Reach us online or call us in the Ventura area at 805-919-8346 to talk.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.